How to Appear Invisible on Facebook – Here’s how to make it seem like you’re not online while browsing Facebook or chatting on Facebook Messenger.
These guidelines apply to the desktop version of Facebook and the mobile apps for iOS and Android that use Facebook and Facebook Messenger.
Using the Facebook app on your iPhone (or any iOS device) or Android, you can control how visible you are to friends and other users. Follow the step-by-step process below to see how:
1. Click the hamburger Menu icon (three horizontal lines) in the top-right corner (Android) or bottom-right corner (iOS).
2. Scroll down and hit the Settings & Privacy button.
3. Select Settings.
4. In the Settings page, tap Profile Settings, then tap Active Status under the Privacy section.
5. The option to be invisible when active can be enabled by tapping the toggle switch next to Show when you’re active.
6. To approve, click the Turn Off button.
Using the Facebook web version on your PC browser or desktop, you can control how visible you are to friends and other users. Follow the step-by-step process below to see how:
1. Click the Messenger icon in the upper right corner of your Facebook homepage.
2. To access other settings, tap the ellipsis icon (three dots) next to Chats.
3. Select Active Status and tap the corresponding toggle switch to turn your Active Status ON or OFF.
Please note that at step three, you can either turn OFF your Active Status for all your friends and connections, turn it ON for some friends, or turn it OFF for some. The choice is yours.
4. To confirm, click Save.
Hint: You can prevent your Friends from finding you on Facebook, in addition to temporarily being invisible to your Facebook friends by blocking them.
Active Status can also be turned off from the Facebook Messenger app for iOS and Android. Follow the step-by-step process below to see how:
1. Click your profile picture from the Chats tab.
2. Select Active Status.
3. The option to be invisible when active can be enabled by tapping the toggle switch next to Show when you’re active.
4. To approve, click the Turn Off button.
Please note that it is possible to continue communicating and engaging in ongoing chats even after turning OFF your Active Status.
Turning off Active Status in one area won’t prevent your friends and contacts from seeing that you’re active or recently active in other places where you use Facebook or Messenger unless you turn off the setting.
Also, if you turn OFF your Active Status for a given place or app, you will no longer be able to see when your friends and contacts are active or were last active.
Consider that there could be a lag between when someone becomes active or recently active and when they are shown as active or recently active.
Whenever you are online on Facebook or Messenger, your friends and contacts will see a green dot next to your profile photo or a recently active time.
In addition, you will see when your friends or contacts are currently online or have been recently online.
Yes. When you turn Off Active Status, incoming messages will still be delivered to your Chat list. Also, you can receive messages in Messenger if you utilize the app.
Lastly, turning off Active Status for your profile will not prevent it from appearing that you are active or recently active in other places where you have not turned off Active Status.
Related: What happens when you restrict someone on Facebook?
We hope you find this information helpful. Please use any of the share buttons below to share this information.
Feel free to drop any questions or contributions regarding this article in the comment section below.