Are you looking for a way to delete a Messenger contact? No need to worry, here is the solution. I don’t know why, but there is no more delete or remove button for getting rid of a Messenger contact. There are lots of weird things which is stopping users from using the Messenger application in the future.
Also read: Facebook Dating Sign Up Review site
Just think about it why Facebook Messenger doesn’t let you easily delete the contact? They are just doing what they like and what they want. Anyways, there are lots of alternative methods you can follow to remove or delete a Messenger contact.
Here you will learn how to remove Messenger contacts in your friend list, non-friends, also your phone’s contact (non-Facebook friends) that is the auto-synced contacts.
Essential Update: The Messenger is updated and the People icon is available at the bottom middle of the app. However, you can tap the contact icon and find the contact you want to remove.
How to Remove a Messenger Contact in your Friend List
The step by step instructions below is an alternative method because there is no such an option or button or any proper method to get rid of contact on Messenger. Therefore, bear this in mind before progressing.
- Open Messenger.
- Tap the people icon at the bottom middle.
- Tap the contact icon at the top beside the avatar with the plus (+) sign.
- As you can see your contacts list, now, select any contact you want to delete or remove.
- Tap on the Message button, after the chat opens, then tap on the info icon at the top right corner.
- Scroll down a little and tap on the Block option.
- Tap the block button (round block minus icon) to “Block on Messenger” and “Block on Facebook”.
- After you tap the “Block on Facebook” button, a browser will open or tap the one installed on the popup screen.
- You will be redirected to Facebook and finally tap the Block button to confirm.
That’s all, the above procedures is what you can do right now to delete Messenger contacts. Blocking is the only solution to get rid of unwanted people on Facebook and Messenger.
Also see: How does blocking work in Messenger?
The blocking feature does the same thing, as it will remove that contact from your contacts list. The only difference is that the contact you have removed won’t be able to text you again unless you become friends on Facebook. He/she cannot find you, send you a request, send you a message, and much more.
How to Remove a Non-Friend from Messenger Contacts
There is an option in Messenger called “Upload contact”. When the upload contacts option is enabled, your phone’s contacts continuously syncing. Though you and that contact may see the suggestion from Facebook and might send your Message requests.
You can either ignore the messages and undo the ignored messages. But to remove that contact that is not in your friend list, please follow the steps below:
- Open Messenger.
- Now, find those friends you want to remove by tapping on the people icon at the bottom middle, then the contact icon at the top.
- Tap on the info icon of that friend.
- Tap Remove Contact, then REMOVE to confirm.
That’s it, now you have just removed the contact from your contacts list on Messenger. The contact will never appear as active friend and never send you messages or requests again. Furthermore, there is an option to bulk remove non-facebook/non-messenger friends.
How to Bulk Remove Non-Friends from Messenger Contacts
This step is optional and depends on your choice. If you are tired of unknowing message requests then the bulk remove option is for you. The steps below would help:
- Open Messenger.
- Tap on the profile picture at the top left.
- Scroll, when you see the people option, tap it.
- Tap on Manage contacts.
- You will see all non-friends list, just tap Delete All Contacts option.
- It should delete all the non-friends from your Facebook Messenger contacts list.
You may get an error (#5900), just don’t mind and ignore it. The error is because, when deleting a friend that possibly blocked, ignored, and blacklisted you. Now it is important to avoid future automatic contacts sync/import in Messenger.
How to Stop Automatic Contacts Sync on Messenger
To stop seeing unwanted people in your hidden inbox or message requests. Also, to stop seeing strangers in the active list on Facebook Messenger, then you need to block the future automatic contacts syncing on Messenger.
- Open your Messenger app.
- There is your profile picture at the top left, tap on it.
- Scroll and then tap on people.
- Tap on Upload contacts.
- Then, tap the TURN OFF option at the bottom.
Please, following the above steps will also remove all previously uploaded phone contacts at once.
How to Unfriend Someone on Messenger
It is easy and simple to unfriend someone on Facebook Messenger. Alternatively, you can block them which is also sort of unfriending. Note that this will permanently delete the friend or contact from Messenger. Please follow the instructions below to unfriend someone with ease:
- Open Messenger app
- Find the person you want to unfriend.
- Tap on his profile picture and the chat will open.
- Tap the info icon at the top right corner.
- Tap on the Profile option under his/her name.
- Tap the VIEW PROFILE ON FACEBOOK option.
- Tap the Friends icon, then tap the Unfriend option (in red color).
- On the confirmation popup, tap the CONFIRM option.
- This will permanently delete the friend or contact from Messenger.
The above steps are for those who don’t know a person’s profile on Facebook and want to unfriend the person. If you do know a person’s profile on Facebook and want to unfriend the person, just skip the above step 1 to 6 and follow steps 7 and 8.
How to Remove Someone from Messenger Group
The process of removing someone from a group conversation in Messenger is easy. Please follow the steps below to remove someone from a group on Messenger:
- Open Messenger.
- Then, open the group conversation.
- Tap the profile picture of the person you want to remove from the group.
- Tap the Remove from Group option. This should remove that person from the group, and you may see a notification as well.
Update: How to Remove Someone from Messenger
As I mentioned earlier in this article, that the Messenger is now updated. Therefore, you might face trouble while following the above steps. However, I thought I should update this article with the info and procedure. As of now April 2020, to remove someone from your Messenger app:
- In your Messenger app, tap the people icon at the bottom.
- Tap Contact at the top.
- You will see the All People list.
- Find and tap the info icon next to the person’s name you want to remove.
- Tap Remove Contact to confirm.
Delete Someone from Messenger 2020
You can get rid of anyone on Messenger, but the fact is deleting someone from messenger in 2020 in the latest application is not that easy. Facebook has removed several options, actually, they have turned the delete contact option to block. Now you can block someone to delete him/her from Messenger too.
Also check: How do I upload my contacts to Messenger?
Therefore, you will only the see info icon next to a contact name if the contact is from your phone contacts and non-friend. And when you tap it, you will see the option to Remove Contact. However, for friends on Facebook Messenger, there is no such option. The only solution is to unfriend him on Facebook and Messenger or blocking him on both platforms.
In conclusion, that’s how you can remove someone from Facebook Messenger app. Note that if you are not able to remove someone, then, blocking the person is the only solution. Blocking will remove that person from your contacts list.
That’s all on How to Remove Contacts from Facebook Messenger. I have explained in details all the things I know about removing, deleting, blocking contacts, etc. from the Facebook Messenger app.
Hope this article would help?